Friday 27 November 2015

Interesting Story about my G750JX-QS71-CB

So, as someone out there knows, I own a Asus RoG G750JX-QS71-CB, which I've owned for a little more than a year and a half. I purchased it because it would serve my anticipated needs during my time at Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology in their Civil Engineering Technology program.

This is going to be a post about how much of a PAIN this laptop has become.

Months ago, I had to take out the drives, and plug them into my Colossal3DR gaming computer, where I discovered that the drives needed to be "scanned and fixed" including some file system errors and whatnot... thought nothing about it, afterall the G750JX is my daily driver laptop for school, and for recreation. Fast forward a whole few months and the screen goes dead... or so I thought, it still output to an external display. Then suddenly it's overheat more and more and more to the point where it won't even run AutoCAD 2015 in 2D mode without spooling the fans, but the fans don't seem to be blowing any hot air, even though BOTH the GPU and CPU are well above 70 or 80 C. So I run out to NCIX, and grab a tube of MX-4 non-conductive thermal paste and proceed to take a set of screwdrivers to my laptop, and replace the thermal paste. But this doesn't fix the fact that the screen only came on when I COMPLETELY REMOVED EVERY DISPLAY DRIVER FROM THE BLOODY LAPTOP... But that didn't happen tonight. Nope. instead, I took the laptop apart, reseated the display connector... okay.. Not the problem, screen still dead. Maybe it's booting into windows and windows is the problem [removed SSD], Nope, screens till doesn't turn on, and says "insert boot device" on external display. Plug back in SSD, and IT BLOODY STILL SAYS INSERT BOOT DEVICE... So now i'm scared. This pile of crap costs a good chunk of change afterall, not to mention that my homework/notes are on the thing (yes it's on google drive too... but still! I need to take notes!).

So what finally got the display to turn back on? Going into the BIOS (couldn't flash the bios because 209 is the latest and it won't re-flash the latest OR an older bios! WHATAPOS! So I inadvertedly hit the "restore defaults" button in the bios... thought nothing of it... but then the laptop restarted! HOLLY SHIT THE SCREEN IS ON AGAIN!

Now here's the interesting thing. I booted into windows and disconnected the external display. Laptop display stays on! I restart the laptop, AND IT WON'T BOOT AGAIN! So I turn it off, and plug back in the external display, IT BOOTS! So I try various configurations. BUT IT WILL ONLY TURN ON THE LAPTOP DISPLAY AND BOOT WHEN THERE'S AN EXTERNAL DISPLAY ATTACHED!

It appears when there's no external display attached, the BIOS think's it's headless and refuses to boot! The laptop won't detect it's own attached display unless it has an external display to "reference" or something!

Weird stuff...

Now it's almost 2:00 AM local time and I have 8:00 AM class... The education gods don't believe in me sleeping early it seems!

No comments:

Post a Comment