Saturday 27 June 2015

The next chapter in my life, my dreams someday

Some people out there know I love to do big projects, whether it was the ABS shoe rack in Grade 1, or the Boat I helped rebuild in my final year of high school, small/simple projects just don't have that challenging appeal. It's not because small projects aren't challenging, it's more like their too challenging!

I've always been a man of speed, power and accuracy, which is why the M4 is, in my opinion, better than the AK-47. The love of large projects once upon a time had me thinking: "If I had that one dream project, what would it be. Not like something superficial that would only benefit me, but something huge, something the world could see... Look on in awe". Of course, this was when the concept of space "excursions" for the masses was a pipe dream at best with an estimated cost of $145000 per seat for a mere 45 minute ride into space; space "travel" was out of the question. Cutting to the good part, the point is, my dreams took me to the idea: If one day, I build an airport (or at least am a major part of a team that built one), I can comfortably retire knowing that I've achieved something I set out for. It's a little bit of a pipe dream, but so was space travel just a few years ago. Today, people like Elon Musk and companies and taking huge strides to make what was once impossible, a reality.

Since my last update, I've started college, finished First Semester at Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology's Newnham Campus in the Civil Engineering Technology Program with a 3.8/4.0 GPA, then was privileged enough to have worked with and convinced enough professors to let me into the Civil Engineering Technology Co-op Program for my Second Semester where I finished with a 3.6/4.0 GPA! 

For my co-op work term I was lucky enough to have met 6 partners in the Heavy Construction Association of Toronto, who chose me as one of their 3 candidates for the 2014-2015 HCAT Award at Seneca College. In order to qualify for this award, both of my work terms will have to be completed with an HCAT Company. In the end, when it came to choosing a company, it was a close race in my mind between at least 3 of my interviewers, but in the end I choose the one who seemed the most sincere in his regard to the work him and his company did. Overall, now exactly 2 months into my placement, I realize it is a difficult field, both to take in all I need to learn, and physically demanding, but I'm willing to put forth as much effort and bring to the table all I possibly can to make the best possible educational opportunity out of this amazing opportunity which is afterall, only 3 in a lifetime!

Come September however, will be back to the grind of day-in-day-out seeing the same classrooms over and over, same professors over and over. I'm not sure if the boredom will be the death of me, of if the lack of possible death causing the boredom that will.... Anyways, point being, I can't wait to share the ways of the industry with my friends and programates to assist them in doing the best they possibly can, because I've always believed that helping one another is a lot better than fighting one another. Help others reach the sky. It's been a real problem I've seen out in the industry where people are trying so hard to cover their own rear-ends, they just about get nothing done worth a damn. If you're part of a team, IMO you should work as a team, rise and fall as a team, and if everyone's down, GET FOOD AS A TEAM!

In case one of my current/former employers reads this STILL DON'T DRINK COFFEE... yet; maybe that's why I don't have a girlfriend yet either...

No comments:

Post a Comment